Click for Nome, Alaska Forecast

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Meeting the 'Storyteller'

Meeting other folks who are as into the Iditarod as I am has kept me on my toes now that I'm in Alaska.  One who got me into reading about Alaskan history and culture is "Frozen Chosen" on the BSSD forum.  A native Alaskan tradition in villages is telling stories; a way to pass history and traditions down through generations.  "Frozen" or Phil in real life, is the 'storyteller' in our forum, and for several years I pictured him as a very elderly native man, or maybe one of the 1st Iditarod mushers.  Today, meeting this gentle man who is younger than I am (geesh), was a real treat.  We met at Title Wave Books and his family roamed through this store, while we caught up on memories and predictions of the race, and lots of similar interests.  I suggested he write a book, and he admitted he is considering it.   His 3year old is a little hesitant about being in the picture.

1 comment:

Frozen said...

Lois, really enjoyed our short time at the bookstore. would love to travel to Nome myself, but will have to wait another year or so. guess we could have gotten a pic outside with the rest! Frozen