Click for Nome, Alaska Forecast

Thursday, March 11, 2010

The 'Bright Spot' - 'White Spot' of My Day

WHITE SPOT CAFE - DOWNTOWN ANCHORAGE

When the screaming dogs and the excitement of the race have moved on down the trail, one can see Anchorage more 'settled in'.  Locals told me that the best place in town to get a halibut sandwich was the White Spot on 4th Avenue.  I headed there for lunch yesterday, and proved that to be true.  It was scrumptuous!  Thick piece of halibut, lightly breaded, right off the grill and into my hands.  Yum.  The only folks there were the owner/cook and 2 local old timers who welcomed me into their conversation of Alaskan politics and present and historical Iditarod chat.  I had the time of my life, and savored that company and sandwich for about 2 hours!    One fellow knew Norman Vaughn and talked about his worry that Norman would get lost his last Iditarod.  We rehashed the trail conditions and present musher strategies.  We compared education in Alaska and Virginia.  I left with my taste buds and my spirit quite happy.

3 comments:

marymay said...

You're making my mouth water! How's about a photo of your old-timers next time?

Barbara and Jerry Lake said...

Is Terry still the owner/cook? You really need to try one of her pancakes. They are larger than the plate and about 3/4 inch thick, and out of this world. We ate there often in 2004 and 2005 when we were there.

Jerry Lake
Hampton, TN

Carolyn said...

Oh, my goodness, what a heart-stopping time you had. My heart was just going pitty-pat when you lost the dogs. But what an adventure! Thank you so much for sharing it with us, I feel like I was there, including the cold. Carrottop