Click for Nome, Alaska Forecast

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Little Suitcase that Could

Do you remember the story about the little engine that could? My suitcase for Alaska is being asked to do similar super-duty. This makes me wonder how in the world the mushers get all that stuff in their tiny little sleds. Ah-haaaaa, one more thing to check out when I get there. I would love to watch one of them packing their sleds. I do digress. Taking the advice of my Alaskan friends, I am planning to wear multiple layers, with emphasis on wicking and insulation, and avoiding a lot of cotton. The nice part is that silk, wool, and down compress nicely, and that there are "no fashion police in Alaska" according to Sunhusky! Polypropolene, parka's, and pac-boots offer a challenge, though. I have packed two times now, trying to get all in one suitcase, one carryon, and my take-everywhere backpack. That poor little suitcase keeps gasping and begging, "can't I have a helper?" I am determined to just check ONE! Wait a minute; then where am I going to put the stuff I buy in Alaska? Hmmm. Pack an empty duffel; check it on the way home. Or, ship some stuff home before I leave.

OK, Lois, get creative here. Walmart (yuck) here I come........to find compression bags that you vacumm the air out of. OMG, it sucked my outerwear down by 1/2 at least! Pack the underwear in one boot, socks in another, hand and toe heaters in another, rolled up extra garments and gifts for Iditarod friends around the edge, and, by golly, I think I've got it.

"Groannnnn, Streeeeeetch" goes the little suitcase............"I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.............ooooooooo...............I'm closed." Wshhoooo. That's done............Uh, wait a minute.......weight limit is 50 pounds. Off to the bathroom scales (thank God for rolling cases!).
Fifty-two pounds.............."Grooaaannn, don't you dare open me again." What can go? -----

And I haven't even gotten to my carry-on, the cameras, laptop, minimal changes of clothing since I will have three flights to get there, three opportunities to lose the luggage. But, I still have 13 days to figure it all out. I'll let you know on flight day how good I am at keeping it to ONE little suitcase that could.

No comments: