Click for Nome, Alaska Forecast

Sunday, March 9, 2008

JEANIE B BECOMES A MUSHER!!!!!!!!!










My lead dogs, Silo and Sweet Pea, and the sled i drove!
JEANIE B’S FIRST MUSHING EXPERIENCE

In the morning, before the race, we went to Vern Halter’s Dream a Dream Dog Kennels and home. Vern gave a great presentation on preparing for and experiencing the Iditarod and the Yukon Quest. Vern won the Yukon Quest, and ran in 14 Iditarods. His talk was inspiring; he has a lot of energy and passion. We also got to see Cliff Robinson and his family, nervously making last minute preparations for his Iditarod start today. He was getting jittery and nervous and did a lot of pacing. We got to see his packed sled and his dog line-up, and had lunch with all of them. Cliff could not find his Vet log, and was having a furious searching experience. I suppose he must have found it, as he took off as planned at the restart.

But, the highlight of the day was my first dog sled ride! I got to do the driving , as they had a runner extension on the back and 2 handlebows. The musher/guide was on the front one, behind the basket, and I was on the back ones. My musher, Justin, was doing most of the driving, of course, but he gave more of the option to me as we went along-----when to shift weight to one side to the other (like on a motorcycle, or sailboat), when and how to use the drag brake and how much and when to let up. I even did some kicking going up the hills. I only flew off once, and I remembered to hang on and jump back on the runners fairly quickly. Elena was riding in the sled. It was great fun, and so peaceful, shushing down forest paths, trees loaded with snow. We mushed about 6 miles. When we got back to the kennel, I helped unharness the dogs and put them back to their boxes. My two lead dogs (above) were Silo and Sweet Pea. They were both small black and white dogs, and very lovable and exhuberant. It was a bit difficult, but I even enjoyed that part. The dogs are so strong that you hold them up so their front legs are off the ground, and walk them back on their back legs so that you have better control. Oh, I hope its not the last time I get to do that-----Exhilaration!

As I read this, it does not come close to describing how totally alive and blessed I was to have this experience of a lifetime. I get teary just writing this. The whole trip has been a blast, but this was my ultimate, lifelong highlight. Though it lasted only about 20 minutes, I will always remember the feel of being on the back of that sled, and the quiet shussshhhhh of the runners through the snow, and the dogs breath in the cool morning air, and the forest gliding by in silence. There are no words to describe how blessed I felt to get the chance to do what I have dreamed of for years! I sailed along of an invigorated cloud for days afterward. In fact, I still am!

Now I can truly say, and know what it feels like,
Mush on,
JeanieB

No comments: